Remove kohler shower handle by first locating the set screw and then unscrewing it with an allen wrench. After that, carefully and firmly pull the handle straight out.
Kohler shower handles are not only functional but also are beautifully designed and added charm to the bathroom. Like other bathroom fixtures, kohler shower handles can be faulty or worn out after prolonged usage. At some point in time, you may have to remove the handle to replace the cartridge, the shower valve or for deep cleaning.
While removing the shower handle, you must also observe some precautions to ensure minimum damage to the fixture. In this article, we have compiled some easy-to-follow steps to help you remove the kohler shower handle without professional assistance.
Understanding Kohler Shower Handle Removal
Sometimes, the task of removing a kohler shower handle can seem daunting and intimidating, especially if you are not a plumber or a handyman. Nevertheless, grasping the basics of kohler shower handle removal can come handy whenever you need to do it.
You will learn about the overview of kohler shower handle, why you might need to remove it, and how to do it yourself like a pro.
Overview Of Kohler Shower Handle
Before getting into the process of removing a kohler shower handle, it is vital to understand what it is. Kohler is a popular brand known for producing high-quality fixtures, including shower handles. A kohler shower handle is a component that controls the flow of water in a kohler shower valve.
The handle acts as a switch to turn the water on and off when you take a shower.
Why Would You Need To Remove Kohler Shower Handle?
There are several reasons why you might need to remove a kohler shower handle. These include:
- Repairs: If your kohler shower handle is not working as it should, you may need to remove it to diagnose and fix the problem.
- Replacement: Over time, kohler shower handles may become worn-out, damaged or broken, which makes it necessary to remove and replace them.
- Remodeling: If you want to give your bathroom a fresh look, you may need to remove old kohler shower handles and replace them with new ones that match the new design.
The following are the steps to remove a kohler shower handle:
- Turn off the water supply: Before you begin, it is essential to turn off the water supply. This will prevent water from flowing when you start removing the handle.
- Remove the handle screw: Look for the screw that secures the handle in place and use a screwdriver to unscrew it.
- Remove the escutcheon plate: After removing the handle screw, you can remove the cover plate. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry it away from the wall.
- Loosen and remove the bonnet nut: The bonnet nut is a large metal nut that holds the kohler shower valve in place. Use a wrench to unscrew it and remove it.
- Pull out the valve: Once the bonnet nut is removed, you can pull out the kohler shower valve from the wall. You may need to wiggle it loose by holding onto the stem and twisting it back and forth.
Removing a kohler shower handle can be an easy task if you have the right tools and knowledge. Consider the steps listed above as a guide, and if you encounter any difficulties along the way, do not hesitate to call a professional plumber for assistance.
Tools Needed To Remove Kohler Shower Handle
Removing a kohler shower handle is not as difficult as it may seem, but it does require a few specific tools. If you want to do it yourself, it’s essential to have a few things on hand before you begin.
We’ll go over the key tools you’ll need and how to use them to remove your kohler shower handle.
To remove the kohler shower handle, you will need a set of screwdrivers. Depending on your shower handle, you may need a phillips or flathead screwdriver. It’s best to have a few different sizes on hand to ensure that you can loosen or tighten any screws that are holding the handle in place effectively.
Before you start, make sure that you know what kind of screwdriver you need for your specific shower handle.
- Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the screws holding the kohler shower handle in place.
- Gently turn the screwdriver to break the seal and loosen the screws.
- Make sure not to apply too much pressure, as this can damage the screws or the handle.
Many kohler shower handles require an allen wrench to remove the set screw. An allen wrench is a small, hexagonal key that fits into the set screw and allows you to turn it counterclockwise to loosen it.
- Locate the set screw on the kohler shower handle.
- Determine what size allen wrench you need.
- Insert the allen wrench into the set screw and turn it counterclockwise to loosen the screw.
If the kohler shower handle won’t come off by turning it counterclockwise, you may need to use pliers to help loosen it.
- Grip the base of the shower handle with pliers.
- Apply steady pressure and gently wiggle the handle back and forth while pulling it away from the stem.
- Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as this can cause damage to the stem or shower handle.
If the kohler shower handle still won’t budge, you may need to use an adjustable wrench to give you more leverage.
- Place the adjustable wrench over the stem of the kohler shower handle.
- Turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the shower handle.
- Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as this can damage the stem or shower handle.
With these tools in hand and following the steps mentioned, you’ll be able to remove your kohler shower handle without calling a professional. But if you don’t feel confident enough to attempt it or have any doubts, it’s best to consult an expert plumber to avoid any damage.
Steps To Remove Kohler Shower Handle
Are you experiencing a leaky or faulty kohler shower handle? Removing the handle is the first step in most repair jobs. Here are the steps to ensure a smooth and successful handle removal.
Step 1: Turn Off The Main Water Supply
Before beginning to remove the handle, make sure to turn off the main water supply. Locate the valve controlling the water supply to your shower and turn it off. Also, ensure that your shower is not being used during the repair process.
Step 2: Remove The Cover Of The Kohler Shower Handle
The cover or cap is located on the front of the handle and may require a gentle pry to remove it without damage. Sometimes, the cover is secured by a small screw in the center, which you will need to remove first.
Once you have removed the cover, the handle’s inner workings will be exposed.
Step 3: Expose Of The Set Screw
To access the set screw, you must remove the handle adapter. The handle adapter is generally made up of two pieces. The only way to remove it is by inserting a flat-head screwdriver beneath the adapter and prying it off gently.
Step 4: Remove The Set Screw
The set screw connects the handle to the valve stem. Remove the set screw with an allen wrench and keep it in a safe place.
Step 5: Pull The Kohler Shower Handle Off
Now that you have removed the set screw, gently pull the handle off the valve stem. If the handle is stuck, try using a puller tool to remove it.
Step 6: Detach The Cover Plate
After removing the handle, you will be left with a cover plate. Remove this cover plate by unscrewing the screws holding it in place. Once you have removed the cover plate, you will have full access to the shower valve.
By following these steps, you would now be able to remove the kohler shower handle effortlessly, allowing you to perform any necessary repairs. Remember always to consult the manufacturer’s manual or seek professional assistance if you’re unsure about anything.
Troubleshooting Tips For Kohler Shower Handle Removal
If you want to upgrade your bathroom and need to replace your kohler shower handle, it’s important to know how to remove it properly. You may face some common problems such as stripped screws or rusted nuts, but don’t worry; we have some troubleshooting tips for you to overcome these challenges.
Stripped Screws: How To Remove Them
When screws get stripped, it can be frustrating to remove them. However, with a few tools and techniques, you can easily remove stripped screws from your kohler shower handle.
Here are some tips:
- Use pliers: Grab the screw with pliers and try to turn it counterclockwise.
- Rubber band trick: Place a rubber band on the screw and push it down with a screwdriver to get a better grip.
- Drill it out: Use a power drill to create a small hole in the center of the screw head and then use a screwdriver to unscrew it.
Rusty Nuts: How To Loosen Them
Rusty nuts are another common problem when removing kohler shower handles. The rust makes them almost impossible to remove without damaging the fixture. However, there are some ways to loosen rusty nuts without breaking the handle.
Here are some tips:
- Penetrating oil: Spray penetrating oil on the nuts and let it sit for a few hours to loosen the rust.
- Heat it up: Use a heat gun or hairdryer to warm up the nut and expand it, making it easier to turn.
- Use pliers: Grab the nut with pliers and turn it counterclockwise. If the pliers slip, you can try using a pipe wrench for more grip.
By following these troubleshooting tips, you will be able to remove the kohler shower handle without causing any damage or frustration. With a little patience and the right tools, you can upgrade your bathroom with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Remove Kohler Shower Handle
How Do You Remove A Kohler Shower Handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, first turn off the water supply. Then, remove the screw on the handle using a screwdriver and pull the handle off gently.
What Tools Do I Need To Remove A Kohler Shower Handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, you will need a screwdriver, allen wrench, and pliers. These tools will help you remove the handle, screws, and cartridge underneath.
How Can I Fix A Loose Kohler Shower Handle?
To fix a loose kohler shower handle, first turn off the water supply. Then, remove the handle and tighten the screws located underneath it with pliers. Reattach the handle and test for tightness.
How Do I Replace A Kohler Shower Handle?
To replace a kohler shower handle, first remove the existing handle as described in the instructions. Then, install the new handle using the same steps in reverse order. Test the new handle for functionality and leaks.
What Do I Do If My Kohler Shower Handle Is Stuck?
If your kohler shower handle is stuck, try using a wrench to turn it gently counterclockwise. If this does not work, turn off the water supply and apply a lubricant to the handle. Repeat the previous step and try turning the handle again.
If it still does not turn, contact a professional plumber for assistance.
Removing a kohler shower handle may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and guidance, it can be a breeze. By following the steps outlined in this post, you can confidently take on this project and successfully remove your kohler shower handle.
Remember to turn off the water supply, use caution when removing the set screw, and protect your shower tile from scratches. With these tips in mind, you can safely remove the handle and get back to enjoying your shower experience.
Whether you’re replacing a damaged handle or simply upgrading your bathroom, taking on diy projects can save you time and money in the long run. By learning how to remove your kohler shower handle, you’ve taken the first step towards successfully tackling future plumbing projects.